PDA

View Full Version : Palo Alto Sucks.....

slomove
April 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Parked the Seven in downtown Palo Alto today for a coffee stop, got even back in time before the 30 minute limit was up, and.....got parking ticket anyway for not having the front license plate.

Now I have the choice of bleeding $75 and be done with it or put the front plate on with cable ties, drive to the next available police station at home, get a signature and pay only $10 fee (assuming the signature does not cost additionally).

Oh well, could have been a real ticket :p

Gert

johnh
April 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
You were 'in town' and didn't even let us know?

slomove
April 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hey John, good to hear from you!

Well, maybe we should have planned this better. But we did a week-long rambling tour of NorCal without any predefined route. Kind of an official test drive of my "new" trailer with several blatting stops wherever we found some nice roads (Sequoia/Kings C., around Hwy 49 and in your neighborhood.). Anyway, the only contact I had on my cell was Tom's number and we met shortly. Next time we get up there I will make sure to give you a call!

Gert

Elv15
April 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Hi John,

Want to go for a blat sometime?

Cheers,

Tom

moosetestbestanden
April 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Kind of an official test drive of my "new" trailer

Shouldn't that thing have Dutch plates on it?:D

Edit: When I was living near there (as a commuter) local wags referred to it as "Shallow Alto", in reference to the monetarily-oriented young females thereabouts.:D again

slomove
April 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Shouldn't that thing have Dutch plates on it?:D

Guess what, that is about what Rosie asked me....but a proper Dutch trailer is twice as big and towed by a VW Golf with 60 hp or similar. To round off the stereotype you need to shun all restaurants and only eat sandwiches you brought from home. :rolleyes:

To be honest, we roughed it on the campground only the first night to prove the point and see what is missing. For the rest of the tour we preferred the luxury of a reasonable hotel. But I might camp out again at the track and save the drive to Buttonwillow.

Gert

P.S.: Some video from Sequoia and Kings Canyon (http://home.earthlink.net/~slomove2/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/sequoiakingmq.wmv)

johnh
April 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Want to go for a blat sometime?

Sure, was out for a bit today testing out repairs to my webers... great weather!

---john.

kiwi
May 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I notice the rearview mirror is particularly clear....so what's the secret? more to the point, what is the origin of the mirror and how does it attach? My suction-cup attachment mirror vibrates so badly I sometimes think my retinas have actually come loose!

Guess what, that is about what Rosie asked me....but a proper Dutch trailer is twice as big and towed by a VW Golf with 60 hp or similar. To round off the stereotype you need to shun all restaurants and only eat sandwiches you brought from home. :rolleyes:

To be honest, we roughed it on the campground only the first night to prove the point and see what is missing. For the rest of the tour we preferred the luxury of a reasonable hotel. But I might camp out again at the track and save the drive to Buttonwillow.

Gert

P.S.: Some video from Sequoia and Kings Canyon (http://home.earthlink.net/~slomove2/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/sequoiakingmq.wmv)

slomove
May 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
My suction-cup attachment mirror vibrates so badly I sometimes think my retinas have actually come loose!

I would believe that, given the flexibility of the suction mount....

Originally the Birkin comes with a center rear view mirror that is glued to the windscreen like most regular cars have it. That worked fine and with little vibration but I managed to knock the glue joint off with my bum while working on the tranny tunnel.

Instead of re-gluing I bought a cheap aftermarket mirror from the auto store, cut off the mounting hardware and welded a narrow steel strip (1/2" x 1/16") to the remaining ball joint stud (a little tricky to do without melting the plastic pieces). The steel strip is then directly mounted to the windscreen frame with two #6 flathead SS screws. Very solid but actually it sometimes still vibrates a little in idle due to the flexibility of the frame itself. Additional advantage is that the mirror moves further up and obscures the viewable area less.

Gert

kiwi
May 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Gert
Thanks for the info, I will see if I can replicate to some degree. I definitely need something that gives a clearer field of view.

Instead of re-gluing I bought a cheap aftermarket mirror from the auto store, cut off the mounting hardware and welded a narrow steel strip (1/2" x 1/16") to the remaining ball joint stud (a little tricky to do without melting the plastic pieces). The steel strip is then directly mounted to the windscreen frame with two #6 flathead SS screws. Very solid but actually it sometimes still vibrates a little in idle due to the flexibility of the frame itself. Additional advantage is that the mirror moves further up and obscures the viewable area less.

Gert[/QUOTE]

Roll a 7
May 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I like the mirrorsforsevens.com product. Provides a wider view and the attachement method works well.

Elv15
May 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I too have a mirrorsforsevens mirror and it is awesome.

slomove
May 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I would concur....the Mirrorforsevens look like a very good solution but I have not tried them in my own car. It would interfere with my sun top.

kiwi
May 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I like the mirrorsforsevens.com product. Provides a wider view and the attachement method works well.

I like the idea, but I really don't like the look of the full width thing. Now, if they offered a single mirror option that hooked over in the same way and could be secured or removed, I might be interested

Roll a 7
May 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
The mirror is barely noticeable because it is only slightly wider than the windscreen frame.

Gert: The mirror does not interfere with the top on my 7. Is there something different about the Birkin design that it does not fit?

slomove
May 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well, it is fine with the factory Birkin setup, but is does not fit with my convertible top. That has an aluminum U-channel at the front to mate with the top windshield frame, i.e. where Mirrorsforsevens gadget goes.

Gert

soareyes
May 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I've got a MirrorsForSeven mirror I'm not using that is nearly new. Anyone interested in buying it? They are $110 new plus $10 shipping, and I would sell it for $80 shipped (in the US).

Stan

Sean
May 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've got a MirrorsForSeven mirror I'm not using that is nearly new. Anyone interested in buying it? They are $110 new plus $10 shipping, and I would sell it for $80 shipped (in the US).

Stan

I might be interested. PM sent.
(I never thought I might find something of interest to buy out of a "Palo Alto sucks" thread! Maybe I should check the "Introduction of New Members" section for half-doors now?)

soareyes
May 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Mirror is sold and on its way to San Jose, which is only 20 miles from Palo Alto, so we are back on topic. :)

Stan