PDA

View Full Version : Birkin is my daily driver for the next couple of weeks

prabjohns
December 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I finally put my other car in for repair from an accident a few weeks ago. I will be driving the Birkin as my only car for a couple of weeks until the repair is complete.
Stop and go traffic along Franklin Ave this morning was no fun with an un-warmed up engine.
Hopefully the good weather forecast will hold.

Sean
December 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Yikes. Coincidentally, I got rear-ended in my Mazda Try-booty (Tribute) just under two weeks ago, hard enough to destroy the front of the other guy's car. So I will also be using the 7 as the daily driver. I expect mine will only be in for a few days though, as the damage seems far less significant to the back of my truck-platform SUV than the other poor guy. I felt bad for him, as he seemed like a nice enough guy, kind of young, but didn't seem to have much. Example: he had no license, he had no registration papers, and he had no current proof of financial liability (insurance card he did have, but it had expired in May). His car must have been messed up pretty good too, because after I pulled over and he tried to drive away, he only made it about 50 yards before his car stopped and would not re-start. Still waiting to hear back from my insurance company, hopefully before the rains get going.

Doug Liedblad
December 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Paul

What happened to your other car? Or don't you want to talk about it?

prabjohns
December 11th, 2013, 04:40 PM
It was not a dramatic accident, I'd just pulled away from a green light and some genius who'd pulled into a parking garage decided to change their mind.
They reversed out of the entrance, unable to see oncoming traffic and reversed out into me as I was passing by. Ripped my front bumper off, buckled my hood. Nobody was hurt.
Estimate $6.5K. Insurance is taking care of it. (hopefully)

Doug Liedblad
December 11th, 2013, 05:15 PM
That sounds like the other guys fault so they should get you a rental.

prabjohns
December 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM
True, but I thought between the Birkin and my bicycle I'd be ok for 10 days or so.

moosetestbestanden
December 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I felt bad for him, as he seemed like a nice enough guy, kind of young, but didn't seem to have much. Example: he had no license, he had no registration papers, and he had no current proof of financial liability (insurance card he did have, but it had expired in May). His car must have been messed up pretty good too, because after I pulled over and he tried to drive away, he only made it about 50 yards before his car stopped and would not re-start.

In the event of an accident resulting in injury, leaving the scene is a felony. Happily you didn't suffer any injury. Just the same, he tried to do the OJ. Ain't nothing nice about that. He would have if he could have.

As I have (more than once) incurred significant financial damage and physical injury (mine) by means of accidents that were no fault of mine (as written in the police reports) by under-insured and uninsured motorists all I can say is that nice is as nice does. I have ZERO patience or tolerance for that behavior. The guy is a dickhead and should be walking or riding the bus, not driving. Fuck him.

A word to the wise: get uninsured / under-insured coverage on your own insurance if you don't already have it. It's the only way you can protect yourself against loss.

slomove
December 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hey, Patrick McGoohan used a Seven to go to work and submit his resignation. Well, it was his TV persona but you are in good company. Any thoughts of resigning? Or do you happen to be self employed? :icon_hopelessness:

Sean
December 11th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Paul - I agree with Doug. I think you should get a rental on the insurance company's nickel, just in case. What the hell.
$6.5K sounds at first like some major damage to me, but after further thought, nowadays it probably isn't that much, really.

Chris - I was being cynical. I didn't feel too sorry for him at all. Pretty sure the scumbag spent that night in the stony lonesome anyway.

I just find it curious that Paul, Magnus's wife, and I all got in collisions in our daily drivers within about a week of each other. Wacky. And happily, none of us were harmed.

prabjohns
December 12th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Hey, Patrick McGoohan used a Seven to go to work and submit his resignation. Well, it was his TV persona but you are in good company. Any thoughts of resigning? Or do you happen to be self employed? :icon_hopelessness:

Ha! No resigning for me. I'm self employed.
As for the rental, I don't have car rental on my policy (apparently, I didn't know). I didn't want to risk ending up holding the bag for it if the other driver's insurance company finds a way of wiggling out of it. Sadly I have very little knowledge of how these things work, especially negotiations between insurance companies.

moosetestbestanden
December 12th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Chris - I was being cynical. I didn't feel too sorry for him at all. Pretty sure the scumbag spent that night in the stony lonesome anyway.

Yeah, I know but I had to vent. As I said, I've suffered serious harm. Of course, my main complaint is not w/ the individual scum in the state, it's w/ the gummint scum who allow these types of situations to persist. I'm sure everyone remembers the old 'driving is a privilege, not a right' speech from driver's ed. Unfortunately the mechanisms to enforce that are either not in place or not being applied w/ enough rigor.

I just find it curious that Paul, Magnus's wife, and I all got in collisions in our daily drivers within about a week of each other. Wacky. And happily, none of us were harmed.

Like, Mercury's in retrograde dude, like totally, and like, ya know, I'm like, ya know, totally keeping the moto in the garage. Totally. Ya know.

Edit: Paul, you need to have a good long look at your insurance and fix the deficiencies. Particularly the parts I mentioned above.

Doug Liedblad
December 12th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Like, Mercury's in retrograde dude, like totally, and like, ya know, I'm like, ya know, totally keeping the moto in the garage. Totally. Ya know.

Please explain how Mercury can be in retrograde? Or is that part of the joke?

prabjohns
December 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Edit: Paul, you need to have a good long look at your insurance and fix the deficiencies. Particularly the parts I mentioned above.

Thanks Chris, Yes, I check it out and other than the rental car my AAA policy seems pretty stout

Doug Liedblad
December 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Paul

If need a rental try something like Hotwire for a weekly deal. Sometimes they are cheap.

moosetestbestanden
December 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Please explain how Mercury can be in retrograde? Or is that part of the joke?

It's both, but mostly a joke.

Wikipedia can say this much more succinctly than I can:

Apparent retrograde motion is the motion of a planetary or other body in a direction opposite to that of other bodies within its system as observed from a particular vantage point

Astrologers attach all kinds of things regarding human behavior w/ the motion of the planets, which is the joke part. And after all, this is the California Caterham Club, so a little far out (pun!) humor is always in order.

That's enough. I'm off to the psychic. I need to know just why my oil cooler blew. :-)

Back on topic!