PDA

View Full Version : Blammo!

moosetestbestanden
August 15th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Some video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8ItnRmBCE) of what is for my money the best 4 wheel racing series in the world.

The finals in Pomona are in early November, when the weather is usually fine. Perhaps a CCC outing is in order. Any interest?

Doug Liedblad
August 16th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I'm interested.

magnusfeuer
August 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I'm on - Possibly with family unless that is advised against.

/Magnus F.

prabjohns
August 18th, 2014, 07:46 PM
That video was crazy. I'd love to go and check it out.

moosetestbestanden
August 18th, 2014, 09:31 PM
OK. So that's 3. Bear in mind please that it's utterly weather dependent. NHRA drag racing, while poo-pooed by some (hi, F1 English & other snobs. UFO.) is in fact as sophisticated a form of racing as any other. The technology is fascinating, and all on view. As big as the show is on track, it is perhaps equaled by a stroll around the pits, where you may find yourself engaged in a conversation w/ a 7 time world champion by the name of Schumacher (no, not that one) who would be happy to answer your questions, or sign your , or watch mechanics rebuild an 8000+ HP machine in 45 minutes. Suck on it, Bernie.

As for the family thing, please know that it would be a long day out, and the racing itself is SPECTACULARLY LOUD. It will rattle you, the stands, everything. Stated another way, I was in 5th grade on my 1st visit but younger may be shaken.

The physics are simply amazing.

Last time I went it was $50.00 to get in, which entitled the bearer to see everything and sit anywhere. Try that at an F1 race.

I prefer to go on Saturday, which is qualifying. More passes (for the uninitiated, races) that day, when all the cars, and motorcycles, run. Besides, I usually need Sunday to recover :-O. The usual MO is to sit near the start line for a while, meander around the pits to see the cars and the, um, demographic (nothing quite like waiting in line at the Port-O-Cans at an NHRA event), get a belly-buster, and then go to near the end of the1000 ft. to really really understand what 300+ MPH (in 1000 feet) means. Or visa-versa.

So, stand by. This is enough interest to be interesting. Please pencil in Nov. 15. If you've not done it, please trust me. It's is simply SPECTACULAR.

PS: Earplugs are for pussies. Or soundmen. I know you're out there, Scott.

Edit: So, Paul, I met a guy at the La Canada stand-around-and-nerd-out-about-cars thing on Saturday who knows you. I've forgotten his name (alcohol related) but he's just finished a 350 Shelby Mustang in red that is Bee-you-tee-full! A real nice fella. Jog my memory - I [i]think it was you he mentioned. Hic.

Doug Liedblad
August 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM
ps: Earplugs are for pussies. .

what did you say?

magnusfeuer
August 19th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Freya has these for her Caterham rides: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrUcU4Eq29lM5Keje088JPw.jpg

/Magnus F.

prabjohns
August 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
So, Paul, I met a guy at the La Canada stand-around-and-nerd-out-about-cars thing on Saturday who knows you.
Ah, a 350 Shelby Mustang... I bet it was Bob Hackle. Nice guy. We worked on a project together. He used to have a formula ford racing car too I believe.

moosetestbestanden
August 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Ah, a 350 Shelby Mustang... I bet it was Bob Hackle. Nice guy. We worked on a project together. He used to have a formula ford racing car too I believe.

Yes, that's him. Thanks!