PDA

View Full Version : A new 7 style car about to hit the road

GBS ZERO 1
December 14th, 2014, 11:37 PM
My Mazda Powered GBS Zero it about to hit the road. DMV appointment 8am Jan 2nd to start the registration process and SB100. All the receipts , photos and forms in hand. Any advise as I head to the DMV to get the process started would be appreciated.

super7guy
December 15th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hope that this is the only time to be upside down.

Congrats on your build.

GBS ZERO 1
December 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Obviously I am not a computer guy, could figure out how to flip that over.

toldfield
December 15th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Good luck at DMV. I went through the process a couple of months ago and it was nearly painless. The local office, Pasadena, was not at all familiar with the program. It took them about 40 minutes to find the forms and figure out the paperwork. I had my sequence number about two weeks later. My car had previously been registered so I did not have to go through a VIN check/issuance or light inspections. The referee was a very knowledgeable guy, which concerned me at first, but it turned out he was a real car guy and was very helpful. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Good luck at DMV. I went through the process a couple of months ago and it was nearly painless. The local office, Pasadena, was not at all familiar with the program. It took them about 40 minutes to find the forms and figure out the paperwork. I had my sequence number about two weeks later. My car had previously been registered so I did not have to go through a VIN check/issuance or light inspections. The referee was a very knowledgeable guy, which concerned me at first, but it turned out he was a real car guy and was very helpful. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.

Thanks for the input, I may call upon you for the referees info if he is a good guy and familiar with the cars.

Doug Liedblad
December 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Good luck at DMV. My sequence number was in the low 300's so there should be plenty left.

I've heard that the sequence numbers are not given out in order so the number may not reflect how many are left. That said I believe there are plenty. DMV has not run out on the first day of business in a few years.

Thousand Oaks DMV does seem to be well up on the Specially Constructed Vehicle process but it's probably not worth the drive if you are on the other side of LA.

Doug

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I've heard that the sequence numbers are not given out in order so the number may not reflect how many are left. That said I believe there are plenty. DMV has not run out on the first day of business in a few years.

Thousand Oaks DMV does seem to be well up on the Specially Constructed Vehicle process but it's probably not worth the drive if you are on the other side of LA.

Doug

Thanks Doug,
hopefully I am first up Jan 2, with a 8am appointment. I live in Corona and have my appointment at the Norco office. I went for a pre-appointment last week and they seemed to have the special construction part down but I got a deer in the head lights when I talked about an SB100.
Any pointers on coaching I can give them then I arrive? Should I get them to process the SCV forms first before their call to Sacramento for an SB100?

Doug Liedblad
December 16th, 2014, 09:27 AM
They no longer call it SB100. That stood for Senate Bill 100 and they reuse the number every year.

It's just called Specialty Constructed Vehicle Number or something like that. (SPCNS) I don't recall exactly how they did it as I did mine the first year. Others can answer better than I and I think we have a thread that covers it.

You just need to get the forms filled out, have a pink slip or if a new build a manufacturers certificate of origin. Pay the sales tax and fees.

Go sooner if you can and get the number this year.

See here if you have not already LINK TO DMV INFO (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg)

Doug

Sean
December 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Why not drop into DMV today to get your SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number? Assuming you have everything else completed, you should be able to get one today. If at all possible, you should NOT go to DMV on January 2nd*, as that will be the first day that undocumented immigrants (a.k.a. illegal aliens) can legally apply for a California drivers license. I'll leave politics out of this thread; you should know that the DMV is expecting HUGE crowds on 2014 Jan. 02.

In the past, when the numbers ran out, they posted that fact on their SPCNS page. Assuming that has not changed, you should be able to get one any day the DMV is open.

PS - When seeking DMV information, be sure to go to pages with URL ending in ".ca.gov". There is a site using .org that looks pretty real, but is an imposter.

*edit -- Unless you are an illegal alien, in which case January 2nd would be a good day for you to kill two birds with one stone at the DMV. :icon_smile:

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 11:08 AM
They no longer call it SB100. That stood for Senate Bill 100 and they reuse the number every year.

It's just called Specialty Constructed Vehicle Number or something like that. (SPCNS) I don't recall exactly how they did it as I did mine the first year. Others can answer better than I and I think we have a thread that covers it.

You just need to get the forms filled out, have a pink slip or if a new build a manufacturers certificate of origin. Pay the sales tax and fees.

Go sooner if you can and get the number this year.

See here if you have not already LINK TO DMV INFO (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg)

Doug

My understanding was that you can register a SPCNS vehicle and if you are going to comply with the Smog requirements for the engine then there is no limit to the number the DMV will register in a year. I was under the impression that if you were not going to comply with Smog requirements you needed a SB100, smog exception number and the field office needed to call to Sacramento to get this assigned and moving. Do I understand correctly that the SB100 process has been replaced with the SPCNS number that the field office assigns?

I think I have all the forms filled out. As for the manufacturers certificate of origin, I believe these are only issued by manufactures that have the authority to assign a VIN number to the chassis as the VIN will be stamped on the Chassis by the manufacturer. I have a paper trail that shows a chassis with a serial number (292) was sold by Great British Sports Cars to their US dealer and then an invoice from the US dealer to me. I have been lead to believe that the DMV will assign a temporary VIN to track the paperwork in the system but when I go for the engine/gear box number inspection with the CHP, the CHP will assign a VIN, and permanently attach a new VIN ID tag to the car. does that sound right?

I went to the DMV a few weeks ago to get the process started and they told me there was nothing I could do until I presented the car to them??? Does this sound right to everyone?? I would like to get the process started now but the car will not be on the ground until just after Dec 25th.

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 11:14 AM
So do you have experience where the DMV will give a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number without seeing the car? I tried this and they said nope, got to see the car to get it started.

I have an appointment, I will be in the parking lot with my car at 6am. doors open at 8am. with the expected crowds the food vendors servicing the crowds should provide good entertainment and breakfast.

magnusfeuer
December 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Make sure to tow your car there since you cannot legally drive it and may get ticketed.

/Magnus F.

Doug Liedblad
December 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
My understanding was that you can register a SPCNS vehicle and if you are going to comply with the Smog requirements for the engine then there is no limit to the number the DMV will register in a year. I was under the impression that if you were not going to comply with Smog requirements you needed a SB100, smog exception number and the field office needed to call to Sacramento to get this assigned and moving. Do I understand correctly that the SB100 process has been replaced with the SPCNS number that the field office assigns?

I think I have all the forms filled out. As for the manufacturers certificate of origin, I believe these are only issued by manufactures that have the authority to assign a VIN number to the chassis as the VIN will be stamped on the Chassis by the manufacturer. I have a paper trail that shows a chassis with a serial number (292) was sold by Great British Sports Cars to their US dealer and then an invoice from the US dealer to me. I have been lead to believe that the DMV will assign a temporary VIN to track the paperwork in the system but when I go for the engine/gear box number inspection with the CHP, the CHP will assign a VIN, and permanently attach a new VIN ID tag to the car. does that sound right?

I went to the DMV a few weeks ago to get the process started and they told me there was nothing I could do until I presented the car to them??? Does this sound right to everyone?? I would like to get the process started now but the car will not be on the ground until just after Dec 25th.

Yes, it is no longer referred to as SB100. Just the SPCNS. In order to comply and be exempt from the SPCSN requirement the engine needs to be from a pre smog date. Maybe as early as 1976 which is as far back as they still require smog checks. Maybe older. I am not certain on this.

If you bought the car complete and assembled from a dealer you may have a problem as the SPCSN requires it NOT be from a manufacturer. If you bought the kit, which I believe can be a rolling chassis, you should be OK.

I know of people that have gotten the number with just the paperwork. I had my car but the DMV never inspected it at all, only the CHP to verify or assign a VIN and the Smog inspection station, you will also need brake and lights I believe. I got the my sequence number with just the Mfg Certificate of Origin, filling out the forms and paying the fees.

Try a different DMV as some don't know what is going on with the SPCNS.

If the car was registered in another state already it may come under a slightly different law but still uses one of the 500 numbers.

Doug

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 11:26 AM
a brand spanking new trailer awaits, just picked it up last week. just making some 12 foot ramps to get the car on without bottoming out. If anyone needs ferry service I am up for a day out with any 7 in tow.

Doug Liedblad
December 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
So do you have experience where the DMV will give a SPCNS Certificate of Sequence number without seeing the car? I tried this and they said nope, got to see the car to get it started.

I have an appointment, I will be in the parking lot with my car at 6am. doors open at 8am. with the expected crowds the food vendors servicing the crowds should provide good entertainment and breakfast.

Things may have changed since I did my car as I did it the first year and as I said they never saw it, EVER at the DMV. Only smog ref and CHP, now also brake and ligh

If you have an appointment you should not need to wait in line. YMMV.

Doug

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks, All assembled by Me, from a bear bones chassis, every rivet, every bolt, none of this rolling chassis business, just like Colin wanted it. lots of pictures so I should be in good shape.

Sean
December 16th, 2014, 12:12 PM
From everything you have told us about above, it sounds to me like you might want to call some other DMV offices and ask them how to initiate a SPCNS registration. It seems to me like the Norco office might not be the best one to do this at this time. Getting a DMV official that knows the process truly is the key to it all, I believe.

GBS ZERO 1
December 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks,
I made an appointment with Riverside for Monday morning, we will see how that goes

moosetestbestanden
December 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM
What Sean said. If there are numbers left for this calendar year get one NOW. Well, Monday.

FWIW, the DMV never saw my car either. Mine (done a decade ago) was only seen by CHP, smog dude & Brake & Light, which was done at an officially certified mechanic's place.

GBS ZERO 1
December 22nd, 2014, 09:55 AM
Well I had a fruitless visit to the DMV this morning. They claimed that there were no SPCNS left for 2014. So I will have to fallback on my Jan 2nd 8am appointment. Oh well, I was hoping to get all the other registration issues taken car of over the holidays but will have to wait. Hope you all have a good time driving your cars, I will have to continue watching from the grandstands for a few more weeks.

GBS ZERO 1
January 6th, 2015, 10:16 AM
My Jan 2nd DMV appointment went well. I paid the fees and got the referral form for the CHP to assign a new VIN to the car. This morning I took the car to the CHP, 7am appointment, all the paperwork checked out and a new VIN was assigned with a new VIN plate attached to the chassis. So its back to the DMV tomorrow morning with paperwork in hand to get the SPCNS paperwork started. Once I have the SPCNS certificate in hand it will be off to the BAR, most likely Fullerton location. The CHP officer showed me CHP publication "CHP 892, requirements for special construction vehicles". I can find reference to it on the CHP web site but I can not find an actual copy, Anyone happen to have a copy?

Sean
January 6th, 2015, 02:00 PM
The CHP officer showed me CHP publication "CHP 892, requirements for special construction vehicles". I can find reference to it on the CHP web site but I can not find an actual copy, Anyone happen to have a copy?

Never heard of it, much less seen a copy. Google turned up nothing for me, either. How nice of the CHP to create a useful thing like a list of requirements, and then not make it available to those whom it would affect!?

Congratulations on successfully getting through that first step. It's always an intimidating thing!

Doug Liedblad
January 6th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Unless something has changed you should have left with your SPCNS number after paying your fees. It took a week or two for me to get the actual certificate in the mail.

Sean
January 6th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I got the SPCNS number on the first day as well. Also, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Brake and Lamp inspection, as by their own rules, that is supposed to be the first thing they require you to get. Ah, government. :icon_smile:

toldfield
January 6th, 2015, 07:15 PM
You need to make an appointment for the referee. The fellow I saw was not there full-time and left immediately after taking care of me. You can make the appointment at

http://www.asktheref.org/

I went to Rio Hondo and was very happy with the results.

Tom

Doug Liedblad
January 7th, 2015, 08:36 AM
CHP892 see attachment.

Courtesy of your friendly neighborhood CHP officher.

moosetestbestanden
January 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
CHP892 see attachment.

Courtesy of you friendly neighborhood CHP officher.

Interesting read. The windshield portion defines the whats and hows for windshields, but does not specifically mandate them. However, the windshield wiper portion says "Any motor vehicle equipped with a windshield shall be equipped...", implying that motor vehicles don't necessarily have to have a windshield. which may explain why my CHP check concluded successfully w/out one and why I've never gotten any shit (knock wood) while driving around on the roads.

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Progress has been made. DMV fees paid, CHP sign off and new VIN number assigned and SPCNS assigned this morning. Now have to wait for the cert to show up before the BAR inspection. I have talked with a brake and light guy and I should have that done before the SPCNS Cert. shows up. I would like to be optimistic about progress but I understand that there is plenty of area's that could still cause me problems so I have some reserved enthusiasm that I will soon be on the road, oh yes and I got the car insured today too.

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Great thanks

Doug Liedblad
January 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Progress has been made. DMV fees paid, CHP sign off and new VIN number assigned and SPCNS assigned this morning...............

If you can, please help us understand if something about the process has changed. Do you know why you did not get the SPCNS at the time you paid the fees and submitted the application to the DMV? When I did mine they made a phone call and I go the number immediately. I did have to wait for the printed certificate to show up but I had the number allocated to my car. This has been most peoples experience.

Is it a new procedure or is that just the way your DMV office did it?

There may be problems you need to solve but you have the number so it's just jumping thru the hoops.

Be sure you have a PCV valve from the engine block or valve cover to the intake manifold. I think into the air cleaner back plate is good. It just needs to vent crankcase fumes to be recirculated to the intake. There are other posts about this as on the site.

On the Zetec there is a metal can with baffles on the side of the block under the exhaust headers that keeps oil splashes out of the PCV but allows fumes to be routed to the intake. I assume Duratecs have a similar set up but I have no personal knowledge as to how it was solved.

Doug

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I noted the windshield too. I will keep a copy of this in the car I think and may give it a go without a windshield from time to time.

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I think the difference for me was that my Chassis didn't have a VIN number nor did I have an MSO. I just had receipts for it all and a 3 digit chassis number from the manufacturer. They wanted me to go to the CHP first to get it all checked out and a new VIN assigned before they would issue one of the 500 numbers to me. I believe you could get the SPCNS at the time you paid the fees if I had pushed it but I had the CHP appointment the next day. I did run into some head wind today, had to insist they call Sacramento for the SPCNS as they claimed they needed the light and brake inspection also before they could issue a SPCNS. I had to sit in the bad boy corner for an hour to pay my dues to the DMV gods first. It took a chat with a second level supervisor before they would even give me the number today.

Doug Liedblad
January 7th, 2015, 01:38 PM
It sounds like the DMV hasn't changes since I was first driving. I used to turn over cars a lot and going to the DMV I'd get quoted one set of fees from one agent, told to go solve some problem and when I came back the amount would be different from another person behind the window. i remember it clearly as the 2nd person charged me a lot less than the first wanted to. I kept quiet, paid and got out of there.

I hate it when I know more about the process than the highly trained professional.

Sounds also like you just need to be insistent.

Russ
January 7th, 2015, 02:24 PM
You can drive your Seven while completing the SVC, BAR, VIN dance. I have renewed my 90 temporary CA registration three times at no additional cost. I should really finish up my registration...

-russ

Sean
January 7th, 2015, 02:57 PM
You can drive your Seven while completing the SVC, BAR, VIN dance. I have renewed my 90 temporary CA registration three times at no additional cost. I should really finish up my registration...

That's true IF they give you a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP), then you can drive it, yes. Issuance of a TOP depends on which clerk and at which DMV, as Doug mentioned above. Also, a TOP can range from 24hrs to 90 days that I know of, and could vary more than that. But it is important to note that you can only drive it IF the DMV has issued you a TOP.

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I have insurance now so that's not a hurdle to driving it.. I suspect I could ask the DMV for a little red square of paper to go in place of the license plate, is this the 90 day temp you are referring to? I could ask them and give it a try, great idea thanks.

I am actually looking for an nice big open parking lot or similar that I can do a few test runs on before I venture out into harms way, brake tests etc? I also need to do some suspension set up too, alignment and shock adjustment, any Whizzers with setup in the club that want to come give me a few pointers and enjoy my Mrs' Chicken Enchiladas?

Sean
January 7th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Yeah, the standard TOP usually looks like the image below, and is typically issued for 30-, 60-, or 90-days. There are also single-day TOPs, which is what they are supposed issue to get a B&L inspection done, and then the longer duration red TOP once your vehicle has been deemed capable of stopping. Or so it once was, according to a friend of mine who used to work in the DMV.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/forum_photos/TOpermit_zpsb5043d89.jpg

What I did, after I received the red TOP similar to above, was make a copy of it and tape that to the outside of the car, keeping the original in the car with me, and taking it along whenever I left the car. That way, if somebody stole the permit from the car, I was still covered.

GBS ZERO 1
January 7th, 2015, 03:45 PM
ok, that's what I though it was but the details are usefully. I would really like to give the car a run first before I even venture out on the road. I have a trailer for the car so getting around is no problem but driving the car to the B&L guy would be best as he wants it on the ground for the inspection and its a little time consuming to get it off and on the trailer.

GBS ZERO 1
January 8th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Good progress today, I have found a willing resident of an industrial complex that will let me use the parking lot on a Sunday to give the car a run.

On a recommendation I visited "Lee's Alignment" in Fullerton to chat about the alignment this morning. I was encouraged by the fact he had a Cobra kit car on the stand when I showed up, so he should be willing to deal with something a little different. Anyway he recons about an hour to get the car running true and not chewing up tires.

I visited the B&L guy yesterday and ran through the requirements. oh no I forgot the emergency flashers. so a call to the factory in the UK this morning got the switch and loom on the way. Glad I have a few days while my SPCNS cert arrives so in no rush.

Plans for this weekend are to fit the carpets and doors.

I can almost smell the fumes from the big rigs just about to run me off the road I am that close

GBS ZERO 1
January 12th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Another good weekend of progress. The Car moved under its own power, finished up all the nagging little electrical work like the back light for the clock and rear fog light switch back light. I have a problem with the ECU, the cooling fan is cycling on and off rapidly, I suspect the cut on/off temps are set too close so I will check that tonight. Patiently waiting for my SPCNS cert in the mail. 15951596

Doug Liedblad
January 12th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I spoke to another friend that is building a Lotus 23. He too was told by the DMV that he has to get his VIN number before they issue the SPCNS. They apparently want to see that the car exists before they issue a number.

That does make some sense as I had heard of custom car builders getting 5+ numbers just on spec. I suspect guys like that were helping to use up all the numbers the first day of business.

So things seem to have changed in the way they issue the numbers.

Sean
January 12th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Another good weekend of progress. The Car moved under its own power, finished up all the nagging little electrical work like the back light for the clock...
Clock!? :icon_confused:

rzempel
January 12th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Clock!? :icon_confused:

Why not? i have a clock from a B-17 in my Birkin.

GWise
January 13th, 2015, 05:45 PM
A clock may prevent me from missing my curfew... Not a bad idea I suppose.

GBS ZERO 1
January 14th, 2015, 01:24 PM
A clock is a must, its neat trick to show passengers how it runs backwards when a 7 is running flat out

GBS ZERO 1
February 3rd, 2015, 12:10 PM
Getting closer to full registration. Yesterday I went to see the Smog Referee. All looks good with the exception of one hose missing. I have the PCV valve tied into the intake but I was missing a second hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner, will be rectified tonight. Then I was off to the brake and light inspection all passed with flying colors. So I am one hose away from full registration. Unfortunately the BAR reservation system does not release the next set of appointments until Monday 9th Feb but I am calling everyday to check for cancelations.

GBS ZERO 1
February 4th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I have been able to make an appointment to go back see the Smog Referee for next Wednesday 11th at 11:30am. I have made the changes he required so it should just be a matter of signing the car off. I already have an appointment with the DMV for Friday 13th which I can now make. So if all goes according to plan I should be street legal on the 13th and can drive to the Dyno day with a CA plate on.

GBS ZERO 1
February 11th, 2015, 07:16 PM
This morning I visited the smog ref for the second time, happily he signed the car off so it was off to the DMV without an appointment, couldn't wait for my Friday appointment. 3 hours later I had my full registration, all done. Just have to finish the build now. See you all Saturday.

magnusfeuer
February 12th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Yes!

Congratulations! I look forward to see and map your car.

/Magnus F.

Sean
February 12th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Congratulations! :)

GWise
February 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I forgot to check back here last night to see how it went. Congrats! I look forward to getting to socal one of these days to check out your car.

GBS ZERO 1
February 16th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Dropped the bonnet of this morning to get louvered. If anyone needs louvered it took me week to find this guy,happy to pass on souce pending outcome of the job.

IanBruce
March 7th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Dropped the bonnet of this morning to get louvered. If anyone needs louvered it took me week to find this guy,happy to pass on souce pending outcome of the job.

Pictures please.

GBS ZERO 1
March 7th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Louvers done. Finish interior and paint next.

TurboWood
March 7th, 2015, 03:01 PM
The louvers look great (as does the rest of the car). What else can this guy do?

GBS ZERO 1
March 7th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I found a hot rod shop in upland that had a louver press. He has a 3, 4, 5 and 6 inch punch I think, mine are 4 inch. That's the only thing I had this guy do. I did the rest of the fabrication myself. If anyone needs any fab help or pointers just let me know.

For those following my activities after the Dyno day I changed the oil and filter with about 100 miles on the engine and the Dyno run and got the expected nice metal sheen in the pan and filter. I changed the filter this morning after another 150 and had no metal in the filter so things look good.

I visited A1 foam and fabric in Santa Ana this week and picked up a leather backed vinyl Hyde (a MB spec material for convertibles) to cover the center console, shifter and handbrake boots. Chomping at the bit to get them covered but will have to wait until I get the parts back from the anadizer. I have been using Embee in Santa Ana but the last parts they did for me they dropped and trashed about 12 inch's of welding. Anyone go any recommendations on anodizers that will deal with small lots and a good minimum lot fee?

rzempel
March 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Anyone got any recommendations on anodizers that will deal with small lots and a good minimum lot fee?

I'm interested to know this as well.