PDA

View Full Version : The good old times

slomove
August 17th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Looking over old videos I just realized that the local contingent was quite active some 10 years ago. Wow...14 Se7en for a SoCal Shelby Club track day.
Nowadays we rarely get folks to show up at the 10 mile Sunday morning blat. Not that I should complain since I don't go to the track myself anymore. But, I miss the old days...

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/videos/Streets_09_04_short.wmv

Doug Liedblad
August 18th, 2015, 08:07 AM
You don't stop doing fun things because you get old. You get old because you stop doing them.

A major cause of the reduction of track days was the big recession starting about 2008. We were doing at least one track weekend a year with the AROSC Enduro at Buttonwillow but they haven't done that for a couple of years now. One track weekend per year is not enough to stop the aging but it helps slow it a bit.

johnh
August 19th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking of going to Canada again, maybe in 2017, it will have been ten years...

slomove
August 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking of going to Canada again, maybe in 2017, it will have been ten years...

Yes that would be nice. We almost made it there this year. 35 miles from the Canadian border where my engine croaked in the middle of nowhere. Kind of lucky though...it took less than 2 days, including a free 100 mile AAApremier tow to Coer d'Alene and 450 bucks for a UHaul rental to get the Se7en back to my own trailer in Idaho Falls. The logistics of retrieving a dead car across the border would have been much worse.

Michael Murphy
September 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I was at Sonoma raceway yesterday for the NASA event and had a grand old time. I met a guy with a CSR260 (Alan ...), your typically charming British type, and another guy approached me in the paddock to tell me that he owns a roadsport and has had it for many years but does not track it.

We used to get several sevens (or more) to every event but I gave up posting a couple years back when the interest level fell away. If there is renewed interest I'm willing to post next time an event is on and I'm planning to attend. Saturday night track BBQs are hard to beat.

Rod
September 29th, 2015, 02:34 PM
I would show up for the BBQ.

Rod

Michael Murphy
September 29th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I would show up for the BBQ.

Rod
I wonder if the track officials would give you a reading on your new "quiet" air filter system. Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca all have noise meters now.

Elv15
October 11th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I'm interested in dusting the seven off and getting back to it.

Michael, are there restrictions on noise at Thunderhill and Sonoma? I know Laguna Seca has a 92db restriction.

Michael Murphy
October 11th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm interested in dusting the seven off and getting back to it.

Michael, are there restrictions on noise at Thunderhill and Sonoma? I know Laguna Seca has a 92db restriction.

All tracks now have noise limits, but I have had no problem at Sonoma and Thunderhill. I forget what the limits are but they are higher than Laguna Seca.

Elv15
October 11th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I should be pretty good, except for the intake. At least at Laguna Seca the intake faces away from the sound booth. ;-)

Sean
October 11th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Last I heard, Sonoma had a 103 dBA general limit, but it can change at any time, or from one event to the next - no guarantees.

mca
October 28th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Laguna Seca usually has a 92db limit. Speedventures offered a weekend with 103db and unlimited sound days back in June. Hopefully they will offer more in 2016 so I can attend again.

Michael Murphy
October 28th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Laguna Seca usually has a 92db limit. Speedventures offered a weekend with 103db and unlimited sound days back in June. Hopefully they will offer more in 2016 so I can attend again.
Hmmm. I will check that out. I have only run with NASA which does not go to Laguna Seca regularly. That's a great track.

mca
November 2nd, 2015, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately, Speedventures 2016 track day calendar does not list any dates at Laguna Seca.

Michael Murphy
November 2nd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, Speedventures 2016 track day calendar does not list any dates at Laguna Seca.

Right, but they do have a three day event at COTA in Austin. I was there last week for the F1 race. What an amazing circuit. I can't say I have been to a lot of high end circuits, but for my money COTA is off the charts. There's nothing in California that comes close - including Fontucky, Laguna Seca and Sears Point. If it wasn't a 3400 mile round trip I would be there for sure.
As for more local events, feel free to post suggestions for track weekends. This group has tended to run with NASA and AROSC for no particular reason. I heard some criticism of SpeedVentures a while back but I have no direct knowledge. Would be good to hear whether they run safe and reliable events.

Sean
November 2nd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Michael - A couple of local guys, both of whom have WCM Ultralites (Jim and Rahul) are going to a trackday at COTA at the end of February 2016, put on by MVP Tracktime. They have posted asking if anybody wants to split the cost of car transport. Links to threads on the USA7s forum here:

Trackday announce thread: http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?10763-Circuit-of-The-Americas-%28COTA%29-February-26-28-2016

Transport share thread: http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?10776-Anyone-on-the-west-coast-going-or-wants-to-go-to-to-COTA

Michael Murphy
November 2nd, 2015, 12:29 PM
Ooooh oooh ooh. I'm on it. Thanks for the heads up Sean.

Sean
November 2nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
You're welcome. Wish I could join you all, but not gonna happen this time.