PDA

View Full Version : I think I'll go electric

slomove
September 29th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Not with the Seven, of course. But I noticed some really interesting web lease offers from VW...how come :)

VW e-Golf (MSRP about $36k) for $179 a month with $2350 down (minus $2500 CA tax rebate).

Looks just like a regular Golf, pretty zippy and just the ticket for my 12-mile commute (can do 70-100 miles). For long distance we still have the Hyundai Santa Fe.

My Honda Accord is getting old and I never really liked it anyway. I am going to start haggling tomorrow.

Sean
September 29th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Tesla launching their Model X really soon as well. Might cost slightly more than the e-Golf, though.

Me, I have never been an "early adopter" of new technologies, at least when it comes to cars. I'll stick with my 7 and Mazda Tri-booty for now. I like the fact that both of my cars have the same engine (basically).

Lucky Dawg
September 30th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I had a Volt for a few years and loved it. About 35 miles on battery power and then 30-40mpg when the engine kicked in. Overall mileage was over 300mpg. I only sold it because the back seat was a little small and the car was boring. Bought a Cadillac V-Sport. Great car but more expensive to run

slomove
September 30th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I had a Volt for a few years and loved it. About 35 miles on battery power and then 30-40mpg when the engine kicked in. Overall mileage was over 300mpg. I only sold it because the back seat was a little small and the car was boring. Bought a Cadillac V-Sport. Great car but more expensive to run

I can see that. But I don't mind a boring car for the rush hour surface street traffic. It is a drag one way or the other. The only purpose is to get me to work and shopping reliably and cheaply.
I have an exciting car for the weekends and an SUV for hauling and long distance.

breezy7
September 30th, 2015, 01:31 PM
These guys did do an electric 7. http://www.electric7.com

escondidoron
September 30th, 2015, 07:56 PM
I don't know if I'd jump right in on that VW. It's not the electric part that I'd be concerned about. Are you sure that the car is actually electric. I mean, I'm sure that it's fully electric while on the rolling road getting its gov't approval, but ............

Seriously though, a couple of my colleagues have opted for the $99.00/month Fiat 500e lease and they are very happy with them over the past year. So if you like the overall VW package, I'd say; "Go for it!"

johnh
September 30th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I think I read somewhere that with rebates and incentives the Fiat 500 electric was essentially free if your monthly petrol bill was around $100...

slomove
October 1st, 2015, 07:49 AM
...Are you sure that the car is actually electric. I mean, I'm sure that it's fully electric while on the rolling road getting its gov't approval, but ...........
Good point. I read that VW developed technology like in the Transformer movies. When the car is standing, you will find the electric motor and batteries but when it starts moving this rearranges to an oil-belching two-stroke engine.

I think I read somewhere that with rebates and incentives the Fiat 500 electric was essentially free if your monthly petrol bill was around $100...
Well, I said I am O.K. with boring but I refuse to get something fugly.

rzempel
October 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM
Chevy says they will soon release the "Bolt" electric car. The concept car looked good. 200 miles range, and $30K price.

prabjohns
October 1st, 2015, 04:30 PM
Have you overlooked a pimped out Renault Twizy? https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-f1-inspired-renault-twizy-for-the-modern-city-man/

slomove
October 1st, 2015, 05:21 PM
Have you overlooked a pimped out Renault Twizy? https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-f1-inspired-renault-twizy-for-the-modern-city-man/

:icon_hopelessness:

prabjohns
October 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM
Apologies, you're right, the Twizy was a silly idea. Now THIS on the other hand....I think the search is over.
http://electriccartcompany.com/carts/2015-star-roadster-yellow-sn/

slomove
October 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Oh well. We shopped around and there are actually some amazing deals. For something like the e-Golf which is a real nice car, the tax rebates and dealer rebates add up to some $15,000. With 2300 down one can actually get a $170/month lease. Not bad for $36k MSRP.

However... I did a cash flow calculation considering down payment, lease, charger installation, all taxes, fees, energy cost vs. gas cost, likely repair and value loss of the existing car. As a result I would be $3800 poorer with the leased Golf after 3 years compared to continued driving the 8 year old Honda Accord (yes, another boring car). While a new car is nice, it is not $3800 nicer and the old one is not that bad. I know, I am stingy...

Sean
October 3rd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Maybe a Zero motorcycle then? A neighbor of mine rides one of these and likes it.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

Of course, you would need to find a sticker reading "loud coils save lives", or similar. I'm not a fan of overly loud bikes, but a silent motorcycle seems like a bad idea to me.

magnusfeuer
October 6th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Apologies, you're right, the Twizy was a silly idea. Now THIS on the other hand....I think the search is over.
http://electriccartcompany.com/carts/2015-star-roadster-yellow-sn/

This car signals the beginning of the end of the Republic. Mark my words.

/Magnus F.

slomove
October 7th, 2015, 09:48 PM
As expected we got more calls from the dealers. They have now the new 2016 model in the somewhat less opulent SE version. Main difference are cloth seats instead of fake leather, halogen instead of LED headlights, a normal size touch display instead of a a huge one and no own navigation (but can replicate the iPhone navigation on the dash via Bluetooth). I can live with that. It has still way more electronics bells and whistles than I care about (like locks and unlocks if you just touch the door handles and the key is near...and something like on-star to get a free tow and charge when you run out of battery). At about $1800 down (plus taxes and fees) and $139 lease(plus tax) the cash flow calculation becomes positive. After 3 years I will be 500 bucks richer than continuing to drive the Accord and it is a new car.

I just picked up the car. Pretty fun to drive and the acceleration from stop is great. Now I need to sell the Honda.

prabjohns
October 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Congrats! Sounds like a great option for the LA commute.
I just read this http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099471_2016-volkswagen-e-golf-se-30k-price-for-new-electric-car-version
That 83 mile range would get you to somewhere like Ojai I'd imagine

slomove
October 8th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Yes, that is the one I got. I am sure I would get to Ojai but the sacrifice might be to stay at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa to recharge.

I think for such trips the Birkin is just the better choice. The e-Golf is a pure commute/shopping car

prabjohns
October 9th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Yes, I'm sure!
That's cool that the charging places come up on a map like that.