PDA

View Full Version : What started it?

johnh
June 21st, 2017, 12:02 PM
As I get older I tend to reflect on how I arrived to where I am. I've never really thought of myself as a 'car guy' but judging by the cars I own there must be a little of that 'car guy' mentality in there somewhere.

I got an email from 'The Roadster Factory' recently and they are planning their summer gathering. That thing that turned on the light bulb for me was their plan to try and reprint 'The Red Car', a book by Don Stanford featuring a kid that buys a wrecked MG and restores it. I remember reading the book in the 60s. That must be part of it. Also, of course was 'The Prisoner' probably the sole reason I own a Se7en.
Anybody else read 'The Red Car'?

I don't drive the Se7en nearly enough, I also own a 66 E-type with a friend, and another friend just gave me a TR-6. Does that make me a 'Car Guy'? Hmmm..... not sure...

Just some random thoughts on an extremely warm Summer Solstice in Santa Cruz, CA.

---john.

rzempel
June 22nd, 2017, 06:11 AM
Every time I drop a wrench and it clangs on the garage floor, I think of that story (The Red Car).

escondidoron
June 27th, 2017, 09:13 PM
When I was about 8 years old my mother bought me a copy of "The Red Car" by Don Stanford. My mom got the book through a monthly Scholastic Readers Club offering. By that age I had already shown an interest in things automotive. I remember the story and characters vividly. Hap, the 16 year old youth. Frenchy, the garage owner and mentor. The Durango car........

Hap's situation has turned out to be my own personal autobiography.