Thread: NASA Buttonwillow April 26th-27th

Arrow NASA Buttonwillow April 26th-27th

Anybody going to this event?
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

See the earlier thread that I just bumped BTTT.

Doug

Got this e-mail today:

You registered for a transponder for the upcoming NASA Buttonwillow event, but HPDE Groups 1 and 2 are not timed. Therefore, you have been refunded:

Dang, no times! Maybe I can talk them into it on the second day.

I don't think they are running the timing equipment for 1, 2, and 3.

We might be able to get some times on you with a stopwatch.

Doug

The stated intent from NASA for HPDE is "this is not a race". Actually in groups 1 and 2 there is anyway a bit of traffic with slower participants that would ruin the times. I guess they want to avoid people getting too aggressive. But if you are an experienced (and safe) driver they will let you move up quickly.

As it turns out HPDE3 is a good match for my own driving skills and often with enough free track to have fun. I may or may not move to HPDE4 sometimes.

Gert

Might actually be a good opportunity to try some different suspension setups without worrying about times, and play with the brakes a bit.

HPDE 3 are allowed transponders.

Greg (National TT director & SoCal group TT/HPDE 4 leader) will not allow anyone on-track w/out a transponder anymore. This is so that all cars in TT / HPDE4 can be given a starting grid spot in accordance w/ their time, so that they are less likely to interfere w/ the people competing in TT. He strongly advises anyone who's been moved up to 4 to immediately get a TT license and rating for the car in order to compete. At Willow Iwas signed up in 4 and was asked by a couple of drivers to let them by on the out lap (even thought they were grided behind me) so that they could get clear track: I was only too happy to comply.

Mike (group 3 director) has been vetting people pretty seriously in 3 for this reason. You've got to show him skill and judgement. The speed across the board in TT / 4 is much higher and NASA wants to be sure drivers are ready. It's sound policy in my opinion.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

I can see the logic of not having HDPE 1 & 2 timed to discourage competitive driving. It's also good to hear that they grid the other groups according to time. I'm all for a safe environment for learning and competing.

I actually felt safer once out of 1&2.

By the time you get to 3 they have weeded a few out (sometimes thrown out) and things are more predictable.

Unless Mike puts in the ringers. He did this the last time at B/W, an instructor or two to see how you react to their sudden appeareance where you might not be expecting them.

Doug

I know what you mean. I feel safer in the full race group with Speed Ventures then the lower groups too, as the drivers are much more experienced, and aware of each other.

I've had supposedly experienced drivers pull bonehead shit on me in the higher groups, particularly one in NorCal. I've also run into a certain amount of, um, intransigence from a couple of drivers in SoCal who seem to have a problem w/ little cars being faster (over a full lap) than their big hp, big straight line acceleration big iron. This has always gone away after a little chat however - the SoCal TT group is really a pretty good bunch of drivers. It's too fast to be asshole-ish and (almost) everybody seems to get that.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Thread Information