Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering an out of state seven

It was SB 1578, but in the 2001-2002 session. The numbers are re-issued for entirely different bills introduced in different sessions (example: SB 100 in the current 2009-2010 session is a bill pertaining to the identification of gifted and talented pupils by school districts).

One can go here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/
    Click on Bill Information
    Select 2001-2002 from the "Session" pull-down
    Select Senate from the "House" pull-down (SB is Senate Bill; AB is Assembly Bill)
    Type 1578 in the "Search" field

Here can be found the various iterations of the Bill through its life cycle, from its introduction on February 20th all the way up to it being chaptered on September 18th. The chaptered one is what got written into law, or go back to the home page linked above and search the relevant code.

These pages can be cumbersome to navigate, but there is a lot of useful info there. I am not in the legal business, nor the illegal business, but I sometimes find comfort in knowing the law, from a reliable source.

edit -- What was Senate Bill 1578 in 2002 became part of Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code and Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code when it was signed into law.

edit 2 -- Made me think of this from my childhood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ
    Last edited by Sean; December 15th, 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added link outlining my extensive legal training
    | | Sean

Quote Originally Posted by BMWRACER View Post
    Good point.

A Super 7 is no dog!!

I'm not sure where that SB number came from (Maybe Doug Leidblad knows) but this is what is stated under the heading:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/app.../hs44017_4.htm

It's hard to find anything that deals with registering used SPCN's that have been registered out of state.

Yes, it was hard to find info when I went through it, not many people have done it.

Give me a call tomorrow, perhaps I can help you out. I'll PM you my number
    www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

What a mess! Thanks for the pointers Sean!
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Update:

Yesterday morning I got to T/O DMV at 7:30 was second in line, gave my paperwork to them and they took my money (I actually felt good giving them money) and they said all I need is a smog from a regular smog station! I asked again and he said "Yup that's all you need" It sounded odd to me, but I thought it was worth a try. I checked with the guy who does smog for my customers, he said "No way. You have to get the sticker from the referee station first.

After a brief chat with Morgan (Mopho) I decided to go back to T/O again.

I spoke to a different person, who spoke to her supervisor and she said "your paperwork looks good just be back here on Jan 4th" I asked "are you sure I need an SB100?" she said "Do you want to smog it as a '91?" "NO" I said "then you need an SB100" was her reply. I had her double check my paperwork again.

So, when all of you are snug in your beds on Monday January 4th think of me huddled up in front of the Thousand Oaks DMV!!

Thanks to Morgan and Doug for their help. Hopefully I'll have good news in 13 days.
    John Norris
    '91 Caterham 1700 c/f
    Green/Aluminum W/Clamshells
    '94 BMW 325I Racecar
    '94 BMW 325IS Racecar

We'll be with you in spirit.
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora
    '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

I'll be joining you there...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Robb View Post
    I figured I won't be alone. When are you planning on getting there? Are you going to drive your seven?
    John Norris
    '91 Caterham 1700 c/f
    '94 BMW 325I Racecar
    '94 BMW 325IS Racecar

I used the Simi Valley DMV. They knew what they were doing. To increase your chances maybe don't stack up in the same spot?

$0.02
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Won't be driving the 7 there - can't do before you get the number, right? Driving an unregistered car on the street is no bueno. It's still in MA anyway almost ready to go! Hopefully it's not too cold or rainy Jan 4 since I'll be on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
    I used the Simi Valley DMV. They knew what they were doing. To increase your chances maybe don't stack up in the same spot?

$0.02

Last year there was 15 SB100 people at the Thousand Oaks DMV, everyone got a number except for the dingleberry who showed up at 8:30. Word seems to be getting out about TO though

TO had the whole thing down to a science, but it's best to be first in line. I got there at 3:45am and I was 4th in line.
    Make sure your paperwork is in order and easy to get to, you don't want anything to slow them down at the desk or you lose your position in line for the phone call.

Bring warm clothes, snacks and a folding chair. It ended up being a pretty fun evening actually
    www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

The saga continues. Now I'm getting my brake and light certificate. They can't sign me off because:

1/ My lights (except head lights) don't say DOT or SAE.
    2/ My light switches need labels.
    3/ My parking brake needs to have a warning light so that I know it's on.

Is this normal? Are SAE lenses available for Caterhams?
    John Norris
    '91 Caterham 1700 c/f
    '94 BMW 325I Racecar
    '94 BMW 325IS Racecar

I did my car the first year of the specially constructed vehicle rules and was never subjected to this close an inspection.

You might try another inspector as I've not heard of these issues with anyone else.

Doug

I second what Doug said...just go take it somewhere else... :)
    Tom "ELV15" Jones
    http://PIErats.com

Please note that your lights must only fulfill the requirements of the year that your car is registered at, which probably is 1965.

/Magnus F.

I had my seven inspected with Chapman Auto Repair in Orange about a year and a half ago and it was no problem.

http://www.chapmanautorepairorange.com/index.html

As for the switch labels....masking tape and Sharpie pen.

Strange, I didn't even have to go through a brake light inspection. No one made any mention of it or checked for any paperwork.
    www.morgansegal.com

O.K. Light and brake done. Culver Motor Clinic Culver City, no problem other than giving them the specs for the brake discs.

Next step is referee station.

Any thoughts to share on getting through that?

I've got the 1700 c/f with webers. Do I need a PCV valve and a hose connected to the air cleaners? Right now the crankcase vents through a hose to the atmosphere.
    John Norris
    '91 Caterham 1700 c/f
    '94 BMW 325I Racecar
    '94 BMW 325IS Racecar

I think it will need a PCV valve. The earliest you can smog the engine to is 1960 and I think it was required then.

I was just here the other day...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102963

Looks like their changing some of their stipulations. You must have a PCV and appropriate plumbing. It's now simply a visual test and they're not even measuring what comes out of the tail pipe.

Thread Information