Thread: engine install question

Default engine install question

The first time I did this, I installed the engine/bellhousing/gearbox together as one assembly. It went well.
    When I removed the engine yesterday to extract a broken bolt from where my alternator bracket attaches to the block, I removed only the engine, leaving the bellhousing/gearbox assembly installed in the car. It too went well (both engine extraction and half-bolt extraction).

Today I put the engine back in the car, but I just cannot seem to get the splined shaft from the gearbox to mate with the engine. Any pointers? It seems difficult to do this alone. I put it in the first time by myself, and I took it out by myself, but dang! I'm having some trouble today!

edit --
    Okay, I took a break (the wife needed a hand gardening, actually), and then went back to it, but with a helper this time. Unfortunately, he just wandered around the garage singing the "Spongebob Squarepants" theme song over and over and over... Gonna take another break now, until wife and garage helper go to the park or something.
    Last edited by Sean; July 6th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    | | Sean

Last time through I spent more time getting the engine and transmission back together than I did swinging the engine back into the car. It was just nasty hard. Lining up the splines seemed to be the, uh, sticking point. I somehow got them close and ended up driving them together by means of the bolts. It's got to be dead straight w/ splines aligned etc. I think you're definitely in 2 person territory, (2 fully grown children that is :-D), one under to guide and massage whilst the other pushes.

Edit: I have an extra one of the ultra sexy alternator mount kits (w/ water pump idler) from Brise if you're interested.
    Last edited by moosetestbestanden; July 6th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Thanks Chris, but my alternator mounting problem is already resolved. Mine is mounted under the intake, or more accurately, under the steering column on a LHD car. I just need to get the motor mounted and the associated details addressed and I'm back on the road.

While I had it apart, I took a photo of Gary's CRB plumbing inside the bell housing for the immediate benefit of both you and Tom, and anybody else who may be interested later on:

Externally, the line on the viewer's left in this photo (right side of the car) has a fitting for the line to the clutch cylinder, and the looped line has a bleed nipple. This set-up makes bleeding the clutch a straightforward task. I imagine the lines really ought to be swapped for use in a LHD car, but it works either way.
    | | Sean

Sean

If you didn't remove the pressure plate the clutch should be lined up so it should be just a matter of rotating either the crankshaft or the input shaft of the transmission.

Maybe try it while the tranny is in gear so the input shaft can't turn and while turning the crank sligtly to get the splines in alignment.

If you did remove the pressure plate Michael Murphy has an input shaft that I think will fit. Check to be sure it fits his crate motor before driving over. He may not be in town till Sunday.

As the wife is leaving this morning to take our son to the park to give me some garage time, we are discussing whether I should call my nephews or my neighbor to assist, when my son says, "Don't give up, daddy! Try it just one more time... You can do it!" Son-of-a-bitch if it didn't go right in within about 90 seconds of trying.

For those of you seeking motivational assistance, his typical fees are 2+ hours of Spongebob DVDs and a 12-pack of good Irish or Mexican beer (agent's fee included).
    | | Sean

Sean, next time you need a hand just give me a call. I'm only a few blocks away. I'll PM you my number. I've been meaning to come by and take a look at your car anyway.

Great! Thanks for the offer. The primary reason I went at it alone on Thursday and Friday was so I could work on it while my son was out of the house, at school.
    | | Sean

Your CRB, mounting, plumbing and even the bell housing are completely different from mine, and probably Tom's. Interesting. They are similar in as much as the bleeding arrangement is the same, but my input is one continuous line direct from the MC to the slave. Having a separate connection would certainly be preferred come engine-out time I think. Having the line dangling around was annoying.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Thread Information