Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another assault on Mt. Palomar, May 18

I will miss this one, I have work and I'm already taking off on Memorial Day weekend.

Looks like I will be driving after all. The R300 Roadsport car's owner called me to ask that I do take his car on the trip as a "shake out" test for all the work that has been done to the car.
    http://www.zenoscarsusa.com Official importer of the Zenos E10
    http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com Your USA dealer for Levante Cars, Origin Cars, Minotaur Racing, Sadev Gearboxes, RST V8 Engines, and more... How fast do you want to go?

I will try to be there. Not sure if I will have a Caterham, but I may drive another car just to see everybody.

Justin

The usual meeting point will be used again. It is the intersection of Interstate 15 and Highway 76, which goes east to Mt. Palomar. This is about 10-15 miles north of Escondido. We meet at the Northwest corner where there is a Park 'n Ride lot and a gas station so that everyone can fill up. Those towing can leave their tow vehicles and trailers at the P 'n P lot for the day. 10 AM should give everyone enough time to get there. My cell # is 858-254-3193,if anyone needs to contact me on that day. Sending me a PM cell # for each participant might be useful, just in case.

Our normal schedule is head east and up the Mt. Palomar grade to Mother's, which is near the mountain top (left turn at the stop sign). There we can get refreshments and razz the bikers who are risking their lives every weekend on the same road. We will then visit the telescope, if the participants want to see it. If not, we will head down the backside of Mt. Palomar and be off to Julian for some food and lieing. There are some fun roads south of Julian for additional entertainment in the afternoon. The route can be changed on the fly for those wanting to sweat in Borrego Springs or incorporate other scenic/fun detours.

If your 7 is on the shelf at this time, bring something else fun, and plan on being behind the 7s in the twisties.

Please post any questions on this thread. See ya on the road!!
    Last edited by Roll a 7; May 9th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Gert and Brad for filling us in on the relevant details. Less than a week away from departure for me, so it is comforting to at least know for certain where it is I am going.

Parking looks to be more than adequate for those trailering. I put the I-15/Hwy 76 location into my GPS and Brad's number into my emergency phone. Really looking forward to this.
    PMs sent.
    | | Sean

The road to the top of Mt. Palomar is about nine miles long to the stop sign at the top. Turn left at the sign and we'll make a pit stop @ Mother's to make sure that everyone is still with us. The road is largely populated by the daredevil rice rocket crowd and they will be passing you at speed. Hopefully, not too many RVs, and there are spots where the RVs or you will be able to pull over. Great views at those spots.

Mt. Palomar is also used for the Tour of California bike race this year.

Remember that the road to the top is a left turn OFF Highway 76.
    Last edited by Roll a 7; May 10th, 2013 at 09:16 AM.

There is a 100% I will be there with my '03 yellow Birkin , I Don't mind putting my cell # here, it is 805-674-1120, Dave L

The last time we met at this location I got a big surprise: Whilst filling my tank with petrol a somewhat scruffy fellow asked if I was Brad. Figuring him to be a 7er unknown to me, I replied in the affirmative. He then handed me some papers and informed that I had just been "served". This was a subpoena to appear as a witness in the matter of William Sours/Autocourse versus et al, etc. In the end I was not asked to appear, which was a relief since I really did not know anything about the matter anyway!

Still, I'm hopeful that this will not be happening again. Not the best way to start a day of blattage.
    Last edited by Roll a 7; May 13th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Back from the dead.

I will be there with my Seven (staying w/ Brad over the weekend). Passengers are welcome.

My street tires are shot, but I may use my track wheels, or ask Mohpho if I can borrow his CR500 clad 14" wheels.

I am negotiating to be there.

About how long is the entire route? In miles and time?

Are any wives / girlfriends planning on attending?

Doug

Rosie was planning to be there.

Gert: Rachel S. will be accompanying her hockey playing hubby. You met Rachel on our last exursion and @ Streets.

I wasn't sure--I've been traveling a lot lately--but it looks like I will be able to join you guys.
    Randall

Joe (Racing Mind) from San Diego will be riding along as a passenger with me. There may be another local gent, Anthony (Ferrino), looking to ride along as a passenger - he is not sure at this time whether he will be able to make it. If so, would anybody else be willing to take a passenger?
    | | Sean

Sean, be sure to ask Joe about the motor and transmission in his new 7.

There will be some empty seats for passengers; obviously NOT an unlimited number! Be there before 10 AM and we can figure out where to sit.

As much as I hate to miss this one, since neither of my cars is ready and a friend is having a going away party that I should attend on Saturday, I am not going to be coming. Take lots of pictures!

Justin

I will be there.

Sean is currently broken down but being towed toward the meeting place. I will bring what I hope are the correct parts to fix it.

Brad, Magnus, and Gert have my phone number.

I am first back to a computer. :)

Had a great day. Started out almost too cool and mixed cloudy, but it burned off quickly. We found a road we never use on our local blats and learned why. We then headed up to Palomar and Mother's. Down the east grade to Mesa Grande, over to Wynola, to Julian for lunch. On the way back, we hit Old Julian Road and two of us did Highland Valley, one of my fav roads.

I think all in all the day was a success and we should do it more often. First step on getting home... washing gravel out of my hair. :)

Good weather. Great people. Awesome roads and machines.
    Last edited by randychase; May 18th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com Your USA dealer for Levante Cars, Origin Cars, Minotaur Racing, Sadev Gearboxes, RST V8 Engines, and more... How fast do you want to go?

Magnus is towing Sean's car from Carlsbad down to the shop where we have the Caterham work done. We are leaving the car behind a locked gate tonight and Sean will be my guest at Casa Chase where we can sip scotch or tequila by the pool. Tomorrow John and Sean will work on his car.

Sorry, we had to bolt and get home for the movies. But it was a great trip!

Magnus: When we returned to the parking lot we found your Volvo with the hatch wide open. Since there was still some stuff left in the trunk we assumed it was not a break-in and you just forgot it? So we slammed it shut.

Thread Information