Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assault on Mt Palomar - 2014

Default Assault on Mt Palomar - 2014

Last year's Mt Palomar drive was pretty cool. I enjoyed it immensly. I shared some pictures of the event with my Lotus Seven firends in Belgium. They thought it looked very cool as well. So much so that they are coming over here and we will do it again (well, at least something very similar) on Saturday 7 June. We will visit Cars & Coffee in Irvine on Saturday morning and then head south afterward down to Fallbrook, Mount Palomar, etc.

We would welcome all of you guys to come and join us. It would be very easy to meet up at the Highway 76 / Interstate 15 Park & Ride, just like last year.

EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora
    '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Probably skip that road in north Escondido this time. :)

I do recommend adding Highland if you can.
    http://www.zenoscarsusa.com Official importer of the Zenos E10
    http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com Your USA dealer for Levante Cars, Origin Cars, Minotaur Racing, Sadev Gearboxes, RST V8 Engines, and more... How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by randychase View Post
    Probably skip that road in north Escondido this time. :)

I do recommend adding Highland if you can.
    Definitely have removed last year's dirt road from the plan. Have added in both Rice Canyon and Couser Canyon.

Highland Valley Road is also a definite.
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

I am interested, with maybe 75% chance of being able to pull it off depending on work scheduling. It was fun last year as a passenger, but would much prefer to try again as a driver this time around.

Huge thanks again to Randy and Magnus for going way out of their way to help me out last time!
    edit -- ...and Chris and Doug and many others. Sorry to leave anybody out, but that was a long weekend for me!
    Last edited by Sean; April 16th, 2014 at 07:15 PM.
    | | Sean

I think I'll be able to join you. Meet up at C&C, probably.

One note for anyone going to C&C in a Seven...drive in the exit lane, there's a tall speed bump in the entry driveway that can do damage to your low bits. The guys controlling entry will understand.

Randall

Thanks for the tip about the speed bump, as I would likely be caught out if I go. Always good to have local knowledge.
    I looked it up on a popular map site, and it does look big, painted bright yellow!

| | Sean

I will try and make it if I can
    Paul. Birkin S3 /Dunnel zetec/emerald ECU

We will be there (not pluralis majestatis but Rosie and I) all assuming that I can get the engine running again. That means 83.82% sure.....

And, you are all wussies. What's the deal with a mile of dirt road?

Quote Originally Posted by slomove View Post

Well, this year, nothing really as I think that I will have my air filter fabrication completed and installed!
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora

Um, I think it was more than a mile! It's a good thing I'd just washed and waxed my car. Wouldn't want to offend the dirt, making it think I didn't care.
    Clark

There is a better than a 90% chance I will be there, I had a great time last year ( all but the dirt road part ), Dave L.

Accommodations secured.
    | | Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Accommodations secured.
    Very good. I'm really looking forward to this drive. It should be great fun.

I'd like to get a show of hands so that I can complete proper planning. Here's what we have in the way of interest so far as I see it:
    Dave L
    Meeting point???

Paul
    Meeting Point???

Randall
    "Meet at Cars & Coffee"

Ron (me)
    Meet at Cars & Coffee

Sean
    Meet at Cars & Coffee

Slomove
    Meeting point???

If you're thinking of joining us can you post here and confirm your preference for a meeting place?

As mentioned previously, I am planning for meeting points at Cars & Coffee and an option for the I-15 / Highway 76 Park & Ride lot near Fallbrook (like last year). Departing Cars & Coffee at 0800 and at the Park & Ride lot around 10:30. I'm planning a stop for a light breakfast between Cars & Coffee and the Park & Ride. I've also located convenient fuel stations along the route near Cars & Coffee, Fallbrook, Valley Center, Warner Springs, Ramona, Borrego Springs, Julian, Alpine & Escondido.

My friends from the Continent want to spend Saturday night in Borrego Springs. Is anybody else interested in this option?

Rooms at the Borrego Springs Resort for Saturday night are $85.32 including tax.

As a result I have laid out two routes to accomodate this overnight stop, one ending on Saturday afternoon and the second winding up with an afternoon luncheon on Sunday. Both routes finish up in the same location at I-15 near the North County Fair shopping center just south of Escondido after experiencing the joy that is Highland Valley Road.

I've pre-run most of the route at this point and will be publishing additional segment maps in the coming days. I pre-ran the segments shown below this past Saturday in the Esprit.

Here's what I have so far.
    Cars & Coffee to Hell's Kitchen:

I have a slight alternate / detour route planned, via Crown Valley Parkway, just in case the present construction at the I-5 / Highway 74 interchange is an obstacle next month. Breakfast stop at Hell's Kitchen.

Hell's Kitchen to Tenaja Road:

There are some spectacular views along this stretch. And about 10 miles of it are single lane, just like English country lanes…At least if they had a desert climate in the UK. :)
    This particular stretch is subject to closure by the Forrest Service. I will check at the Ranger Station near Hell's Kitchen on the day of the drive to make sure that the gates are open before we start out. Here's a cell phone picture that I took looking back at the road, taken from Tenaja Falls this past Saturday afternoon. Tenaja Falls is about 3 miles in from the road at Point B on the map, above:

Tenaja Road to Fallbrook:

More to come.
    Last edited by escondidoron; May 1st, 2014 at 08:53 PM.
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora

Quote Originally Posted by escondidoron View Post
    Slomove Meeting point??? Status: "83.82%".....
    I think I can raise this to 88.56%

The cylinder head is still with the engine builder (do these guys have anything resembling a work schedule?) But I am hopeful to have it back next week.

Assuming no further hiccups I should be able to be back on the road until then.

We would probably join the Cars and Coffee crowd. My trailer has become a lumber storage and it is probably easier to just drive down there.

The cylinder head is still with the engine builder (do these guys have anything resembling a work schedule?)
    And I thought it was just me with this kind of experience.

Latest Stats:
    Dave L
    Meeting point???

Paul
    Meeting Point???

Randall
    "Meet at Cars & Coffee"

Ron (me)
    Meet at Cars & Coffee

Sean
    Meet at Cars & Coffee

Slomove
    Meet at Cars & Coffee
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora

I'll have all day Saturday, but won't be able to stay in BS. Too bad, because it looks like a great place, especially at that price.

Really looking forward to this. A little surprised so few have expressed interest, but still far more than any Nor Cal blats.
    Thanks for putting this together, Ron.

-Sean

I am 90%. (Sometimes I have to work weekends with no notice, so there's always a small chance of that happening. Hopefully not, though)
    Paul. Birkin S3 /Dunnel zetec/emerald ECU

I will try to make it if I have a car. I would guestimate a 50% chance. If not, may just join you in the Porsche.

Justin

Ron, can you explain what the plan with Borrego Springs is? I would not mind if we end the Saturday trip there but probably take off Sunday morning (somewhat) early to go home.

Thread Information