Thread: light weight fly wheel and oil filter relocation

Default light weight fly wheel and oil filter relocation

Hi- Was looking for info on sources for light weight flywheel for Duratec and a relocation kit for my oil filter (same engine)- also interested in getting rid of coolant pipes hoses and going for the rail set up- any sources for this?- thanks
    Hayden- (the leaker) Sohm

SBD (www.sbdev.co.uk) has all kinds of stuff. Raceline has aome bits as well.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

http://www.raceline.co.uk/products/p...8&CategoryID=1

That's the setup I have. Works well for me.

/Magnus F.

Is there plenty of clearance with the chassis?

Yes.

I'm in Portland at the moment, but will try to snap a pic when I am back home tomorrow.

/Magnus F.

I just remembered that the clearance actually is limited. I have to use short oil filters to get them to fit. Pics will come.

/Magnus F.

I use the same Raceline filter mount, which I have dubbed the "horizont-oil" filter mount. Then I have a big-ass Modine oil/coolant heat exchanger on that, and then a shorty filter on there. It all fits well enough in my standard-width S3 chassis, as you can see here (photo looking down in engine bay, with nose of the car to the left):

| | Sean

Sean

If you aren't using the heat exchange function (I believe it's to warm up the oil quicker) you should take it off. Just excess weight.

I am using it! It functions to warm the oil more quickly initially, and to keep the oil from getting overly warm during extended running under load; so, both a heater and a cooler for the oil. The photo was taken when I was first getting the car together. I ended up rotating the Modine about 120 CCW from what you see here to route the coolant hoses. You may also notice that the dry sump oil line visible in the photo is still capped and there are no wires going to/from the starter (or anything else).
    | | Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    .... You may also notice that the dry sump oil line visible in the photo is still capped and there are no wires going to/from the starter (or anything else).
    I'm not that observant.

To be clear, I have an 8 1/2" lightweight flywheel, which works in conjunction w/ an uprated clutch (which istr is an AP bit). Some of those on offer on the sites cited above are for racing-only application(s) and will need special clutches for sure.

I used the Raceline oil filter adapter on my previous engine. It's not exactly a 'relocation kit', just an adapter to turn the filter parallel to the ground. It worked great, and made oil changes a breeze. My car is an S3 and there was plenty of room. I could even use larger-than-stock filters.

I'm not real clear on how someone would go about relocating the filter w/out dry-sumping the engine. I *think* both Sean's and Magnus' engines use the Cosworth internal dry-sump pump and can therefore use the Raceline adapter. My dry-sump pump is a belt-driven external, and as such the filter is a pass-through mounted downstream of the pump. It feeds the engine through a -10 hose to the oil filter adapter to a -10 hose to the oil-in adapter that mounts on the block.

It seems like in order to just relocate the filter w/ a wet sump you'd need to have an in-out adapter made. I'm unaware of any such thing that may be available.
    Chris
    ------------

Raceline has the water rail for the Duratec too.

http://www.racelineonline.co.uk/prod...5&CategoryID=1

Does anyone have better photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
    Raceline has the water rail for the Duratec too.

http://www.racelineonline.co.uk/prod...5&CategoryID=1

Does anyone have better photos?
    I do, on page 9 or so of my old build thread 'Check yer sump bolts'. Well, not a Raceline one but rather my cobbled together rig (gotta clean that up one of these days).

There are several water-out adapters available (check SBD), one that also serves as the mount for older style coil packs. From there plumbing to the radiator can be as simple (if unattractive) as combining elbows & straight tubes.

The thermostat on the Raceline part means removal of the stock unit @ the water-in location, which is no big deal. And istr reading about height issues & such like once upon a time.

I *think* Magnus has, or had, one, and Gert too, for his Zetec.
    Chris
    ------------

I guess I need to check that out- Magnus- you going to Super Car sunday?

Thread Information