Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATL Fuel Cell

It is the standard Caterham tank. I asked Caterham if the Caterham cell (bought through Caterham) included a fuel pump, like the description on the online store, but they thought it didn't. It is much cheaper to buy directly from ATL than through Caterham UK.

I have used the Caterham UK Online Parts Store a number of times, and actually get parts fairly quickly. The description of the parts, though, is often non-existant, so you are never quite sure what you are getting!

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Murphy View Post
    Cool. Is this a standard Caterham design or a custom build? Would be interested in seeing the specs. At that price, and with 14 gallons, it seems like a good option.
    This one here perhaps? Maybe not the same vendor but the same tank? I *think* the one in the URL cited is the one that MoPho has. If yes, it's taller but not wider I think, extending above the floor of the boot. So, no boot space anymore, as if there was much to begin with (I've never used mine either).

I'm pretty sure I'm heading down the Fuel Safe road myself and will either ship them mine for modification or have one built to the size of the original, w/ the return and the sender in the same location etc. The have all the fittings and so forth to make use of the original filler location, which I like. I have a hard lid on covering the boot which is somewhat time consuming to remove and I like the look of the thing now, so I definitely will retain the original filler. I don't see myself using the car for any enduros so the 8 gallon size will be just fine.

I'm on the fence about internal vs. external fuel pump, mostly because of money, or lack thereof. I have a shiny new high pressure pump now and if I go external I'd have to get another one and put the current new one on the shelf. However, I like the notion of an external for a number of reasons. I reckon I'll decide when I have finally saved up the required cash.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

That's the one, but from a different vendor. I will still have to sort out the installation. I'd love to be able to fill it from the current location. I'll drop it in myself, but then probably get some help from a shop here to get all the fittings right.

Justin

Justin here are some pics of mine, pardon the ten years of dirt. The tank partially obstructs the original filling port, so you have to go in through the top. Probably easier anyway

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Thanks for the pictures, Morgan! I see what you mean about the fill cap.

I have a brace that goes down to my differential, that looks like it will be out of the way. I am not looking forward to taking off my cage to get the tank in. I had to stretch it with a come-along to get it on! I don't think I'll have to move my fire extinguisher, and it looks like the pump for the shifter will still fit. What are the chances this will turn out to be a simple job? :)

2015-01-30 19.15.29 (800x450).jpg

i/oport is right down the road from me. Wonder if they might have some insight to my current problem with the tank.....

Justin, do you have any plans for your stock tank? Maybe I need to go back to stock. I just spent over three hours waiting for a tow truck

I swear my car is like a batshit crazy girlfriend that you know you should break up with but she is so damn good in bed.....

www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Quote Originally Posted by mopho View Post
    i/oport is right down the road from me. Wonder if they might have some insight to my current problem with the tank.....

Justin, do you have any plans for your stock tank? Maybe I need to go back to stock. I just spent over three hours waiting for a tow truck

I swear my car is like a batshit crazy girlfriend that you know you should break up with but she is so damn good in bed.....

Batshit crazy is what this is all about. Over to you Justin :-D
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

It's time for a build report from Justin. I'm ready to buy but I need to know what I don't know first. Justin???

I received the ATL cell this week. It fit very nicely in the stock location. The other things I needed were:

A Walbro GSL392 external pump.

3 aeroquip AN-06 nipples to connect hoses to the outlets on the tank. Part number FCM1532

A bunch of 3/8 and 5/16 tubing., and various connectors.

An inline fuel filter to put between the tank and pump.

The tank has the same outlets/inlets as stock: A fuel sender (stock tank has in-tank pump, ATL cell just has outlet), a return line, and a vent.

The ATL tank has an outlet in the same position as the stock outlet but no in-tank pump, so needed to add an external pump. The stock setup has a line going from the in-tank pump to a T-connection, with one branching to a filter and then the fuel line, and another branch to the return line. So all I had to do was add the inline pump (with a filter), and adapt the lines to the right connectors. The stock lines are 5/16, but the AN-06 connectors on the new tank have nipples that fit 3/8 hose.

I still need to get some long thread stock so I can secure the tank using the original brackets with longer rods.

I chopped off the wires going to the stock in-tank pump, and hooked them up to the Walbro, and it seems to work fine.

The worst part of the whole project was removing the cage so I could drop in the new tank.

I tried hooking up the fuel gauge sender on the ATL to the wires that went to my original gauge. My stock fuel gauge reads 10 L after adding 2/12 gallons to the tank. I might be able to just use my stock fuel gauge! The ATL tank comes with an ATL fuel gauge, but I may not even need it.

On the whole, this is a pretty easy installation. Not plug-and-play, but not that bad.
    Last edited by sdcat; March 15th, 2015 at 08:33 PM.

Morgan,

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I have to make sure I don't have any issues with this one before I get rid of my stock tank, but if you need something to get back on the road, let me know. ATL recommends changing the foam in this tank every year! That is pretty high maintenance!

Justin

Thread Information