Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picnic 2017?

Question Picnic 2017?

Life has gotten really busy for me in the past year. I had completely forgotten about the picnic, and will not be able to commit to it this year due to too many other commitments and uncertainties. Unfortunate for me, as this has typically been a highlight event for me for each of the last five years. Sorry about that!
    | | Sean

Bummer, am installing a new engine and hoped to show it off then.

Rod
    Rod Swanson

Someone else could make the arrangements. It's just that Sean is unable. I'm too far away, at least that's my excuse.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
    Someone else could make the arrangements.....
    That does not sound good. Who passed away?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Bummer, am installing a new engine and hoped to show it off then.

Rod
    Should we ask why the new engine?

the old engine was supposed to be 220 HP. On the dyno, it was only 145 at the rear wheels. The new engine on the stand produced 252 Hp. However Raceline sent me the wrong bell housing. I am waiting for them to respond. Now I have 0hp while I wait. the old engine is out and on the garage floor, and the new engine/transmission will not fit.
    Rod Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    the old engine was supposed to be 220 HP. On the dyno, it was only 145 at the rear wheels. The new engine on the stand produced 252 Hp. However Raceline sent me the wrong bell housing. I am waiting for them to respond. Now I have 0hp while I wait. the old engine is out and on the garage floor, and the new engine/transmission will not fit.
    Are these Duratec engines?

both are Zetec.
    Rod Swanson

Hmmm.... Let's organize a picnic. Is it too late to get the spot in Los Gatos?

Hi Sean - can relate to life getting busy. You've done great work getting the event to its current scale - maybe the crowd should source this year.

A quick scan shows Vasona Lake Park picnic sites all booked up for the foreseeable, so who's up for a blat plus either potluck picnic at some pretty spot (San Gregorio? Mt.Hamilton?) or destination dining (Duartes in Pescadero, Alice's on Skyline)? We could start at Vasona and I'm happy to coordinate a reservation for the midpoint if that's the choice. Out of towners - thinking of Larry and Goya, Doug if he can make it - can use my home base in Mountain View to park trailers or chase cars.

Here's some dates for starters (assume 10am - 2pm span):

Aug 5
    Aug 12
    Aug 19
    Aug 26 (I can't do but might work for others.)

All those interested please indicate date, and if there's a quorum we'll next choose the blat route. Let's try to bootstrap a moveable feast Picnic for 2017!
    2016 Seven 480 SV in Ballistic Orange

Stevens Creek Park has a site available on the 26th (only date I checked). In theory I might be able to host a barbecue at my place, I'm surrounded by Se7en's worthy roads (West of Boulder Creek).

I would be "in" if we could pull it off, if one of the locals could arrange the site only I think the rest of us out of the area people could set a pot luck kind of thing. I am spending almost all my time in Atascadero, due to my wife's health, I have not been to our home in Pacific Grove since the last year "7 event"

DaveL
    PS hey Doug do you want a ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    DaveL
    PS hey Doug do you want a ride ?
    I am game but it's usually faster to walk.

If August 12 works, that is the beginning of the Pre-Reunion at Mazda Raceway - Laguna Seca. This event is pretty small, without all of the crowds and drama of the Rolex Reunion the following weekend. It is a county park, but I think admission is $25 for that event. If there is any interest I can ask if we could occupy an area, like the Turn 5 camping area, for a picnic. We would likely have to bring our own tables and chairs, unless they would let us use some unoccupied camping sites.

Interesting idea. If you are willing to get more information on the possibilities that would be great.

Yes. I will be up for the motorcycle races this weekend and will check to see what we can do. I suggested Turn 5 because it has a great view of, well Turn 5. I will also ask about other areas that may have some shade and a table or two.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by toldfield View Post
    If August 12 works, that is the beginning of the Pre-Reunion at Mazda Raceway - Laguna Seca. This event is pretty small, without all of the crowds and drama of the Rolex Reunion the following weekend. It is a county park, but I think admission is $25 for that event. If there is any interest I can ask if we could occupy an area, like the Turn 5 camping area, for a picnic. We would likely have to bring our own tables and chairs, unless they would let us use some unoccupied camping sites.
    Great idea Tom! I'd be up for that. If the group space pans out, we can quickly crowdsource picnic/potluck ideas, spread the supplies/gear load. Plus racing to boot.

I will get an answer tomorrow.

I heard back from Mazda Raceway this morning. We can use The Island pergola for the picnic. They will move some picnic tables into place, if they are not already there. We will also be able to park our cars on the island. The link below is a map of the track. BBQ Island is between turns 2 and 3. Setup for the Rolex Reunion will be going on in the Marketplace area, but we would be separated by the moat.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/ma...ine_3feb16.pdf

They would charge $35 each for this, which includes the $25 admission to the races. It's more than using a park, but we do get the races and an area with some shade.

I will be camping at the track and thus could provide a BBQ, ice chest with ice and beverages, other stuff that's a pain to transport in a little car.

If this sounds agreeable I will tell them that we want to go ahead.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by toldfield View Post
    I heard back from Mazda Raceway this morning. We can use The Island pergola for the picnic. They will move some picnic tables into place, if they are not already there. We will also be able to park our cars on the island. The link below is a map of the track. BBQ Island is between turns 2 and 3. Setup for the Rolex Reunion will be going on in the Marketplace area, but we would be separated by the moat.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/ma...ine_3feb16.pdf

They would charge $35 each for this, which includes the $25 admission to the races. It's more than using a park, but we do get the races and an area with some shade.

I will be camping at the track and thus could provide a BBQ, ice chest with ice and beverages, other stuff that's a pain to transport in a little car.

If this sounds agreeable I will tell them that we want to go ahead.

Tom
    Thanks for doing research and cueing up the plan, Tom. I'm in, along with co-pilot Petra and a Cat-trunk full of edibles.

Who else is up for it?

Jeremy

Thread Information