Thread: Source for heater hoses?

Default Source for heater hoses?

I've got a 2000ish Caterham 7 with Crossflow and heater. The molded hoses (see photo) between the heater valve and the heater box are leaking. Anyone have a part number or source recommendation? Also, what kind of hose clamps are those?

---john.

Found some hoses with the proper bends at the local auto parts store. Cut to fit and that seems to be solved for now. Took the nose off the top off the coolant and the top/bottom radiator hoses are on their way out. :-( Is silicon worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    Found some hoses with the proper bends at the local auto parts store. Cut to fit and that seems to be solved for now. Took the nose off the top off the coolant and the top/bottom radiator hoses are on their way out. :-( Is silicon worth the money?
    Can't answer that really...I had rubber hoses on my '98 Birkin and when the engine crapped out after 17 years, they still looked like new. I did give them an ArmorAll treatment every couple of years, though.

When I replaced the engine with the SVT one and different in-out locations I bought silicone hoses from Pegasus Racing. Was indeed a bit more expensive but not that much and the blue hoses look nice. I guess they would last longer but then 17 years is not too bad. Only thing to keep in mind is using special hose clamps with liner to avoid extruding the silicone rubber through the clamp band slots. I used adhesive stainless tape under regular hose clamps to the same effect.

Some of your hose clamps appear to be the Oetiker type, sometimes referred to as ear clamps. I've not used them, but heard about them. Supposed to be good for not cutting into the hose, but require a specific tool for installation.

I don't know if silicone hoses are worth it or not. My car has silicone coolant hoses, but only because they were supplied as standard from Freestyle.
    | | Sean

Check for the sleeved SS hose clamps at McMaster Carr. They are reusable and last forever. I found a silicon hose manufacturer in the South Bay but it was only a little cheaper than Pegasus. However, they offered several colors (if you’re into that sort of thing).
    Wide-body Birkin, 2.3l Duratec

Thread Information