Thread: Sierra 4 speed transmission

Default Sierra 4 speed transmission

I'm looking for a Sierra transmission, preferably 4 speed with integral bell housing. Mine became scrap metal the the GGLC event at Willowsprings a few weeks ago.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Sierra 4-speed. Could you, or would you want to fit a T-9 5-speed in there (providing it was an easy swap)? I have a spare T-9 5-speed..

Quote Originally Posted by DanMo View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Sierra 4-speed. Could you, or would you want to fit a T-9 5-speed in there (providing it was an easy swap)? I have a spare T-9 5-speed..
    I am not sure the T-9 will fit in a S-3 live axle car. But I will do some research and get back to you. Thanks for the response.

Never mind. I found the proper transmission in England and it should be here in a few weeks.

Dare we ask how it became scrap?

Sure. I was at the Golden Gate Lotus Club event at Willowsprings in December. On the third or fourth lap of the autocross course there was a loud bang and severe vibration. At the same time the RPM increased like a stuck throttle. I shut down the engine and coasted off the course. The obvious damage was that the bellhousing was shattered and the flywheel somewhat loose. Upon disassembly I found that the six bolts securing the flywheel had sheared. The flywheel was kept from exiting the car by the transmission input shaft which was in the clutch disk and what was left of the gearbox.

The transmission and bellhousing are one casting and both are destroyed. The visible damage to the engine consists of the bellhousing mounting ears on the block are all broken off. I haven't opened up the engine, yet. At this point the major parts needed are a transmission, new block, and possibly a crankshaft.

transmission2.jpg

The fuel line was not severed, the chassis was not cut, and my feet were not amputated so I figure I'm a bit ahead of the game.

Thread Information