Thread: Angeles Crest Highway status

Unhappy Angeles Crest Highway status

My local paper had an article concerning the status of repairs to Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2). Caltrans will build a bridge across the most seriously washed out section a mile west of Vincent Gap. The alternative was to cut further into the mountain side, but that would leave it more prone to continued landslides.

Unfortunately, it will take at least three years for planning before construction begins, then who knows how long to build it.

I guess the bright side is that the road will eventually open again, as there had been rumors that Caltrans could put off repairs indefinitely, effectively abandoning Hwy 2. Wrightwood put up a fight to continue rebuilding since they rely on this route for emergency evacuation planning, not to mention the tourist dollars!

Stan

Really a shame....but we should not complain. Imagine you would live in e.g. Houston. Then you would appreciate all the remaining roads here :)

Gert

The 2's been essentially dead for years anyway, even for more reasonable excursions. Multitudes of weekend flatlanders going 25 - 30 (16 to a car w/ bbq all ready to blaze - in fire season), horrid pavement above Redbox, 45mph limit, and cops cops cops. Too many medivacs too often required for 2 wheeled organ donors caused the latter.

There are other roads, to remain nameless, that are much better places to spend time:D
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Quote Originally Posted by moosetestbestanden
    The 2's been essentially dead for years anyway, even for more reasonable excursions. Multitudes of weekend flatlanders going 25 - 30 (16 to a car w/ bbq all ready to blaze - in fire season), horrid pavement above Redbox, 45mph limit, and cops cops cops. Too many medivacs too often required for 2 wheeled organ donors caused the latter.

There are other roads, to remain nameless, that are much better places to spend time:D
    I know you are right...but I enjoyed it anyway. And now I am cut off from my favorite Sunday breakfast destination. Oh well, got other things to worry about :)

Gert

Thread Information