Thread: Duratec dyno results

Default Duratec dyno results

Given that this group is quickly becoming Duratec central, I thought I would share this here. I recently upgraded my 2.0L Duratec with a tiny bit of headwork (removed a small emission tumble in the exhaust port) and the Kent DTEC 10 cams from Ammo. He refers to this as the 210hp spec, but an engine he did put out 217hp on Emeralds rollers when green and 226hp once broken in. Given that the more aggressive Kent cams that require pocketing the pistons are only rated at 226hp, that 217-226hp example does seem a bit of a flier.

The graph below compares my stock engine to the upgraded version. A few points to consider when you look at this:

• These numbers are from the same Mustang dyno known for its conservative numbers. The operator is more concerned with repeatability for tuning than putting out glorified numbers – something some of his customers don’t like, but I appreciate ;)

• My exhaust manifold is probably costing me some power at the top end due to the design. The shop that built it for me a few years ago took my instructions from Raceline too literally and fabricated very long secondaires. I instructed them to build the primaries about 30-32 inches and the secondaries as long as possible. If they followed the Raceline design for the primary tube layout (my assumption given they had a set there), then they would have built secondaries about 7-10" long rather than the 4-5" pipes that Raceline is forced to use due to space constraints. The shop, however, decided to snake the primaries so they completely fit within the body, which enabled them to make 22" long secondaries. Dave Walker told me that in his experience anything over 10" loses power, but Chris Smith at Raceline didn't think the extra length would cause a problem. I side with Dave.

• The Mustang software stopped recording data for the customer file once peak power is reached. Therefore the graph stops at 7000rpm even though the engine is good to 7500rpm and feels strong all the way to that point.

Although the dyno numbers don’t show a huge improvement, the car now feels MUCH faster. The engine craves revs but is still a torque monster. Definitely a worthwhile improvement.

(Edited to fix the broken link)
    -John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnCh; July 17th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

Congratulations...

I've continued my engine assembly and are currently waiting for some bits and pieces in order to continue.

The locations of the starter engine and the belt tensioning roller are a bit of mystery since I cannot see how the belt will run...

/Magnus F.

Magnus,

Do these help with the belt tensioner question? The engine in the car uses the Ford automatic tensioner, and the other shows the manuallly adjustable version supplied by Raceline.

-John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aha!

Thanks for the pic, John. The bits and pieces I have doesn't seem to go on that way, but I believe I can machine them into submission.

/Magnus F.

Those are the only two styles I've seen before on the Duratec. Once you figure out your setup, post pics. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

-John

Those engines button to the left. Mine buttons to the right:D

Note that the new alternator and mounts that I got off of Ammo are for mounting on the right (exhaust) side of the engine.

I'll post some pics of my current rig and the new bits here in a while.

Edit: Back OT, yes, it would seem that the dyno numbers are conservative. Nice improvement to the torque curve for sure - no wonder the car feels faster. Good on you!
    Last edited by moosetestbestanden; July 18th, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I 'm curious to see where else an adjustable idler pulley will mount on the block.

The improvement to the torque curve just goes to show how mild the stock Mondeo cams are -- and to think those are more aggressive than the stock cams in the 2.3L! I can't wait to see the numbers you and Magnus throw down with your new engines.

-John

John - some numbers similar to what I expect Magnus may end up with here
    - Sean

I basically have this engine with the roller barrels replaced by Jenways.
    Similar numbers.

/Magnus F.

That should be sufficient...

Thread Information